To help with the current burden our local communities face with tobacco usage, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center will create the first tobacco treatment specialist program in the state of Maryland. Each tobacco treatment specialist will undergo: Six hours of in-person training through two 3-hour workshops. Documentation of 50 hours of tobacco treatment skill implementation. Completion of one 30 minute examination Upon the completion of the aforementioned requirements, each person will be awarded a certificate as a certified. Johns Hopkins Bayview Tobacco Treatment Specialist.
- Explore the neurobiological changes in nicotine addiction.
- Identify the role of genetics & metabolic pathways of nicotine.
- Assess current pharmacological therapy for tobacco dependence and the evidence that supports their usage.
- Identify the role of human behavior towards nicotine addiction through conditioned place preference.
- Learn how to approach motivational interviewing through decatastrophization of tobacco dependence.
- Evaluate the fundamental role of healthcare agents and professionals in tobacco independence.
- Challenge assumptions of active smokers and help assure smoking cessation is approached comfortably.
- Explain how stages of change can be used to help a person quit smoking.